Design with eyes 設計眼: Consious Coincidence

星期日, 9月 09, 2007

Consious Coincidence



Getting the idea from Jacob Jensen
Some great articles from Jacob Jensen's official website touch my recent mind. After the conference of Kenya Hara and Naoto Fukasawa in Taipei, the topic of "conscious" becomes one of important design thinkings to me. My friend Pink and I decided to create a new blog and make some effort bases on "without thought." (It comes from IDEO's study.) Here is some "coincidence" between designers' mind. Check it out.
.......................................................................................................................................................................
(Below comes from Jacob Jensen's official website)
"With regard to the actual inventive process, I have a tool which I call conscious coincidence.

The way conscious coincidence works is that I begin to draw faster and faster and faster. More and more off the track. In a way, I make a mess of it, ruining my drawings because I am back jammed. I can't get through. I make accidents on what I'm working on.

Afterwards I read these drawing, these conscious coincidences, and then I see: Ha! That, that's damn good! In some way I see the shadow, or whatever it is. That, then, becomes the foundation for the next breakthrough, the next design. And not just design.

New ideas emerge on the functional side..... New functions always bring new forms."

The process
"In my view, constructing a fountain pen, writing a poem, producing a play, or designing a locomotive, all demand the same components, the same ingredients: Perspective, creativity, new ideas, understanding, and first and foremost, the ability to rework, almost infinitely, over and over. That "over and over" is for me the cruelest torture. The only way I can work is to make 30 - 40 models before I find the right one. The question is, when do you find the right one? My method is, when I have reached a point where I think, okay, that's it, there it is, I put the model on a table in the living room, illuminate it, and otherwise spend the evening as usual, and go to bed. The next morning I go in and look at it, knowing with 100 per cent certainty, that I have 6 - 7 seconds to see and decide whether it's right or wrong. If I look at it longer, I automatically compensate. "Oh, it's not too high", and "It's not so bad". There are only those 6 - 7 seconds; then I make some notes as to what's wrong. Finished. After breakfast, I make the changes. That's the only way I know."

The Limitation of Technology

"We are not limited by technical specifications. If the idea is right we always find a way to do it. If the idea is so exciting and sustainable that people say: "We have to have that!", then they find a way to make a chair that can rock, a low profile transformer, a turntable with parallel pick up arm. You name it. The manufactureres don't care if it's difficult. They will spend the money when and if they can see that the idea is so obviously right. There's no excuse, no "Sorry, I can't afford that". It's quite simple. The talented design walks in and proves itself on sight.

If you bring your idea to your friends, which the people you work with or for should preferably be, and if when you put your idea on the table in front of them, you have to explain the idea, then you can just forget it. On the other hand, if you bring your idea and people say, "I'll be damned! How can we make this?", then you are already rolling. The process grabs itself, steers itself, and one is almost shoved aside in the beginning, because the technicians have a problem to solve ... a solution to find."

0 意見: